Friday, January 24, 2014

Family and stuff

I don't feel like I should be allowed to be happy today. My family is in the midst of a horrific tragedy. My cousin's house burned down last Saturday and it just got worse from there. Our little Braxton who was 11 passed away on Sunday. Braxton was named after Olivia because his mother loves her so much and admired her. Braxton's older sister Tiffany who was 26 passed away on Monday evening. Thier 14 year old brother Tre' has been in a hospital in Cincinnati Ohio since Saturday. He had his first surgery for debreeding on Monday and did pretty well. He's a strong boy and has a will to live.

This all happened the same day as my son celebrated his engagement. We traveled to the Philly area and the party was at an Indian restaurant. In the Indian culture, there is a blessing of the union. I learned so much about the Indian culture. I was able to wear a beautiful sari. It was so fun but bittersweet. I tried really hard not to think about the events happening in Ohio and West Virginia and concentrate on the celebration.

So the reason I don't think I should be happy is that so many of my family is not happy right now. I am excited that I sent my registration in for the FingerLakes tatting conference. I have my accomodations reserved and paid for. I have a few people staying with me for the weekend, but I am staying for a week. I'm excited about the classes I picked out. One of the classes is by Ruth Perry. I cannot wait to meet her. I'm so excited. I'm also hoping to get the classes with Cyn and Karey Solomon.

I went to tatting group in Gettysburg this evening. I had so much fun seeing the 'girls' again. There were only 4 of us but we haven't seen each other in several months and I really missed them. Holly learned an easier way to shuttle tat with the help of Deb. Chrissy and I figured out how to do a Single Shuttle Split Ring (SSSR). It was different than the way I used to do them, but it was pretty easy. It was so nice to get to hang out with them again. I have been blessed with friends that I have only known a short time, but feel like I've known for ever.

I still have bobbins to spangle and shuttles to decorate tomorrow. I made a bobbin holder. I didn't do a great job of it, but I see where I went wrong and will be able to make changes to the next ones. I should be able to sell these on my Etsy store. They are prretty cool. I want to make some for a few people as gifts.

I still need to change the fuse in the control box of the CNC machine to see if it works. Shawn promised to help me with that tomorrow evening. I'm at my whit's end with this machine. I was so excited to get it and now I've had it since the first of November and it's still sitting there not working. I feel like I have an $800 door stop at this point. The seller is working with me but it's so hard because they are in China and I can't get on the phone and call them to talk me through troubleshooting. I have to send an email and they reply and I try and try to get it working. UGH.. It's so frustrating.

Well, it's really late and I am exhausted. I will post pictures of the spangled bobbins and pix of the engangement party soon.

2 comments: