Saturday, June 29, 2013

Busy week.

It has been such a busy week. It started out on Monday with our cat having to go to the vet on an emergency basis because he could not urinate. When we go to the vet's office, they rushed him back to get checked. I waited about 20 mins and was pulled into an exam room and advised that he had a bladder issue. He had to be sedated and a cathater inserted to empty his full bladder. I was told that most cats become septic within 12 hours of their bladder issue and die. He hadn't urinted in almost 48 hours. They had to keep him. He was put in the hospital for 4 days.

On Tuesday, I traveled to Ohio to attend the funeral of our Aunt Joyce. I drove 6 hours and got to our Mom's house (really she's my mother in law but we don't like the 'inlaw' thing). As soon as I got to Ohio, I went with my great neice to her awards ceremony for t-ball. Then back to mom's where we stayed up past midnight talking.

Wednesday found me running errands all day for family members and spending the day with my great neice (she's 7). Since they live in a really small town and the closest mall is 45 miles away, I went on another road trip to the mall to get some things needed. Again with my 7 year old neice.

Thursday was the funeral. It was emotionally draining. A 2 hour viewing followed by the service, gravesite service, meal after the service, then back to the house to visit with family until all hours of the night. A very very long day.

Meanwhile in Maryland, our cat was released from the hospital and sent home in the evening. I had called the vet hospital every day, twice a day, checking on the cat.

Friday was another travel day. I hit the road at about 9:15 am for my drive back to Maryland. I got home at about 3:45. Shawn got home a few minutes after me. We sat down and talked about my trip. I noticed that the cat was acting funny again. I checked his litter boxes and noticed that they were all (we have 3 for 1 cat) clean and not been used. No one had checked to make sure he was able to urinate. I called the vet back and was told to bring him right back in. OK, so I had just driven 6 1/2 hours, and the vet is 45-60 mins away in rush hour traffic. I jumped back in the car, mad as all get out, and rushed him back to the vet. I was not mad at him, but at a lack of follow through from my daughter. Shawn came with me back to the vet's office. We arrived about 6 pm and the cat was wisked away back to be examined again. The vet came out several times to update us on his progress. Finally about 8:30 (the vet's office closes at 7) we were told that he would be able to come home with us but would need to be back in the office at 8:30 am for emergency surgery to open his urinary tract. The best way to describe this operation is to imagine a human gender reassignment surgery. Sounds kind of crazy, hua? So we headed back home for the night.

Today, Saturday, I got up and rushed the cat back to the vet - 30 mins in  no traffic and dropped him off for his surgery. We had committed to helping friends from church move today, so off I went to meet Shawn at their home to help with the move. We packed one large U-Haul truck and got it to the new house and unpacked. By this time it was only 11:00. We moved fast. There were only a few items left at the old house and about 15 movers so we left and came home for a few minutes. We then went to a book reading and signing for 3 local authors. What a treat. Shawn wanted me to go to encourage me to get my book finished. It was so inspiring. We got to ask questions and talk to each author. I bought 4 copies of one author's book, 2 of another and a series of 3 from the third. We also found "Armor Of God" t-shirts with a man riding a motorcycle. It was great because our CMA chapter is called Armour Of God, with Ephesians 6:10-20 being our base verses. I had to get one for each of us, of course. So during the book reading, I got a call from the vet telling us to pick the cat up at 4pm. The book signing was over at 3. We rushed to grab a bite to eat and get back to the vet's office - another 30 minute drive. We arrived and sat and waited for about 30 mins. At 4:30 we were ushered into an exam room where we sat for another 15 minutes. Finally I asked someone what was going on. I paid the vet bill and the cat was brought to us - FINALLY. We were given instructions and got to take the cat home. We got home and had our nephew waiting to come in and visit. A very nice suprise. He stayed for a while and then he went out and mowed our grass. He's such a good guy. So he went home to mow his grass (he always borrows our mower and I get my grass mowed as payment). He'll be back soon to visit again.

So this has been my week. I am exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment