Monday, June 2, 2014

Buying, selling and "stealing" someone's pattern

There are so many posts on facebook lately about people selling tatted products. It worries me because I have seen so many posts on blogs about people stealing patterns, designs and then selling them. This is very scary for someone who is in the process of writing a tatting book. My own designs are my intellectual property and I don't want to get caught up in this situation.

I also design and make tatting shuttles that I am fearful of someone stealing the design. I guess that if someone tried to sell a shuttle that my hubby or I designed people would let them know. We have become widely known for our designs and I think it would be hard for someone to copy our designs.

So with all of that being said, I am working on the designs for the book. I have come up with a concept for the book. That's going to remain a secret for now. I'm pretty excited about what I am coming up with. I need to get some patterns tested. I want shuttle and needle tatters to both test them. Boy this process is going to be a long one. But I think with doing it this way, the book will be more successful since I know that the patterns will have been tested by wonderful tatters who's opinion I trust.

Another topic - I feel bad for Shawn. He is getting bombarded with orders. It's kind of a good/bad thing. Good because it is generating income for him, but bad because he's always in the work room. He has made so many shuttles in the past three months. I guess that's what happens when you design an unique and beautiful shuttle.

I've been working on two shuttle designs. I'm running into a few little glitches for now. I will just have to refine the designs and get working. I'm pretty excited about each design. Pix to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment