Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend

On the eve of Decoration Day, aka Memorial Day, I sit here thinking of all the men and women who have given their lives serving this country. It humbles me and makes me grateful for being able to serve my country honorably and not during war time.

It also makes me appreciate what I have and who I am because of my time in the US Army. I enlisted when I was 17 years old and left home before my 18th birthday. I grew up, reinforced respect for authority and added to my pride and appreciation for the freedoms we receive being US citizens.

I looked so young in my military picture. Hard to believe that photo was taken 33 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was honored to get to spend several hours with The Saluting Marine, Tim Chambers on Friday when he attended an event at a local motorcycle apparel shop that I organized. There wasn't a huge turnout due to the time of day, and that was ok because we got to know each other and talk. I have called him my friend for a while, but now I consider him closer than a friend. What an amazing heart he has for our military personnel.

This reflection also makes me think of all the people in my life that I admire and respect. Those who were there for me when no one else wanted to be. Those who have stood by me through thick and thin, good and bad, ups and downs.

I get kind of mushy this time of year because I am so proud of the lessons I have learned and what I have been able to accomplish because of those lessons. I believe that every able bodied person should be required to serve their country for at least 2 years right out of high school. I feel like this country would be so much different if that was required. I know that my belief is not a popular one, but think of all the respect our young people would have and the discipline demonstrated.

Tomorrow we will have a cookout at our house with some family and friends. We are hoping Tim and his group of people will be able to make it. If not, that's ok. He's invited Shawn and I to come to CA to visit and stay with him. Bonds have been made.

My nephew was sworn in and joined the US Army on Thursday. We are not sure when he will have to leave for basic training. I am so proud of him and the decisions he has made for his future. I will miss him terribly. He comes over often to check on me and to spend the day with me. I know I'm not supposed to have favorites but Nick always has been and always will be my favorite nephew. We just have a bond and connection I don't share with the rest of them.

Thank you to all of my fellow veterans, active duty personnel and especially those who paid the ultimate price serving this country. I am proud to be a member of this club. HooRah.

No comments:

Post a Comment