Saturday, September 26, 2015

Happy 24th Anniversary to my hubby

Happy Happy Anniversary to my husband.

It has been an interesting ride. People never thought we would last. We were told not even a year. His family has never really accepted me or welcomed me in a way that would make me feel like I am a true member of this family. Here we are 24 years later and still going strong.

We had a small wedding. It was on a Thursday afternoon. Only a few guests attended. His grandfather, mom, dad, brothers and their wives, one of the church members, my best friend Bob and my son. Our pastor performed the ceremony. Shawn's youngest brother and wife acted as our witnesses.

When we finished our vows and the pastor announced us as Husband and Wife, my new sister in law ran up to my husband crying and said "I think you just made the biggest mistake of your life".

How is that for a great big "Welcome to the family".

Well guess what? We didn't make a mistake. We are still going strong 24 years later. But guess what? Both of his brothers' marriages didn't last. I believe that the reason is - we started our marriage with God as the center. We acted on His desires. Neither of them did. They rushed into marriage. One because they were expecting, the other because they were encouraged to have a double ceremony because one wedding was cheaper than two.

Shawn and I didn't have a huge wedding. We didn't spend a lot of money. We did it on God's time and honoring our commitment to Him. I didn't even wear a wedding dress and Shawn didn't wear a tux. We didn't care. We don't even have a picture of us on the day we married. It's not important. What is important is that we love each other and make it work.

We haven't always had the best of times. There have been some hard times, some fights and some times we felt like giving up, but we didn't. We hung in there. God knew we were supposed to be together and be able to help others through our experiences and endurance.

Anyway....I am a very happy woman...I am still in love with my husband....I will be with him as long as God allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment